Just to keep people up to date, here’s the CNN bulletin I just got on email, quoted verbatim:
These are the latest developments confirmed by CNN:
- At least 50 people are dead, police say, and 53 people were injured at the Pulse club in Orlando.
- The shooter was Omar Saddiqui Mateen of Fort Pierce, Florida, law enforcement officials tell CNN. He was shot and killed by police at the nightclub.
- Mateen called 911 at the time of the attack to pledge allegiance to ISIS, a U.S. official tells CNN, and mentioned the Boston bombers in the call. He had been investigated by the FBI in the past for possible ties to Islamic extremism, officials say, but there was no evidence to charge him with anything. ISIS sympathizers have praised the attack on jihadi forums.
- The shooting began around 2 a.m. The gunman ran into the club and took hostages. Around 5 a.m. authorities used an armored vehicle to break down the door of the building and end the attack.
- “It appears he was organized and well-prepared,” Orlando Police Chief John Mina says. The shooter had an assault-type weapon, a handgun and “some type of (other) device on him.”
- Local and federal bomb squad personnel are currently entering Mateen’s Fort Pierce apartment, law enforcement officials say.
- Mayor Buddy Dyer has declared a state of emergency for Orlando, and Florida Rick Scott has declared a state of emergency for Orange County.
- President Obama is expected to speak shortly.
I’ve updated this by including the President’s statement below; you can find other statements (e.g. by the Pope), as well as the latest updated news, at the CNN liveblog.
And this from The New York Times: