These things are not that rare. This is from last year’s Daily Mail, reporting on a case in Oregon:
Five years of probation in return for killing their son.
Here’s who else is guilty besides the parents:
- The Church of the First Born, for preaching doctrine that encourages child murder (Churches are never held responsible for such deaths),
- The judge, for handing down probation and therefore reducing the possibility of deterring religious and like-minded parents from similar acts,
- The U.S. government, for allowing 43 states (Oregon is an exception) to have legal exemptions from child abuse, manslaughter, or homicide if medical care is withheld on religious grounds.
- State governments, for passing those laws,
- Moderate religionists, for helping pass those laws and not opposing them,
- The rest of us, for not working to overturn them.