If people ever say we’re exaggerating the ravages of creationism in the United States, have a look at this video. Check out the title in the subject line. The answer, of course, is a resounding, “YES! Praise Jesus!”
Non-American readers: be prepared to be gobsmacked by the stupidity here.
Eric Hovind and Paul Taylor are your hosts at this 30-minute episode on the Creation Today show. For most of the show Hovind is lecturing to kids. I can’t think of anything more vile than promulgating such lies to children.
Hovind comes off, I must say, as a bit unhinged: as an amalgam of Jimmy Swaggart and Soupy Sales.
Vodpod videos no longer available.
Among the highlights:
- 4:02: Hovind claims to prove that dinosaurs are mentioned in the Bible (as “dragons”) and concludes without doubt that those dragons were really dinosaurs. (He later says that dragons are mentioned 35 times in the Bible, and Hovind determined that at least 23 of those refer to real dragons.)
- 5:00: Hovind claims that the dinosaurs faced a “very hostile environment” after the Flood. But how did they survive it? He doesn’t mention that they were on the Ark. And the dinos went extinct because of the debilitating post-flood climate. How do we know? Because the human lifespan dropped from over 900 years before the flood (Methuselah) to 400, then 200, then 100.
- 7:42: People also helped bring about the extinction of dinosaurs: they were killed for meat, to protect the kids, and even for medicinal purposes (ancient remedies called for “dragon blood”).
- 10:45. The Bible refers to dragons and serpents breathing fire. Since the Bible is literally true, Hovind has to show that dinos could do that. But of course they couldn’t. What does he do: had adduces “animals alive to day with those kinds of capabilities.” He’s apparently referring to bombadier beetle. How that proves that reptiles breathed fire is beyond me.
- More proof: the walls of Babylon had dragons engraved on them. And of course there are the stories of Beowulf and Grendel, and St. George and the dragon. More evidence!
- The Grand Canyon has Native American carvings of dragons!
- 17:13: Hovind asserts that “behemoth” mention in the Book of Job was “obviously” a dinosaur
- 20:25: Satan twisted God’s creation by making scientists say that dinosaurs really lived million years ago
- 22:25: Hovind offers the kids a choice between evolution (obviously disproven) and a creator.
- 23:20: Hovind tells the kids that evolutionists are deceiving people about the evidence we have to support our theory. (I’m checking myself for horns).
Of all the horrible aspects of religion, the worst is the imperative to brainwash kids with lies that support your own faith.