Half of American fans think God (or demons) affect the outcome of sports

One of the perpetual ways to make fun of religion, at least in America, is to note that many Americans think that God takes an interest in sports. Athletes like Tim Tebow give thanks to God for their achievements and their teams’ victories, and Americans regularly pray for the success of their teams. (I doubt that this happens much in Europe, but I’m sure it’s common in South America!).

Well, now there are data showing that the belief that God (or demons) somehow affect the outcome of sporting competitions has been quantified by a survey—a survey by the Public Religion Research Institute, and summarized int their report, “Half of American fans see supernatural forces at play in sports.”

This graph summarizes the data, with “average Americans” in tan, football fans are in maroon, and other fans are in olive. Now since the survey methodology reports a survey of 1,011 adults—not just sports fans—I assume that the data below represent a subset of those Americans who follow sports. But, according to the data, that is 89% of all Americans (I’m one of the other 11%).

Yes, exactly half of the fans (and 55% of football fans) see supernatural influences in sports:

supernaturalforces_in_sports

Some highlights from the survey, taken directly from the report (see the link above for more data, such as which areas of the U.S. see more influence of the supernatural):

Demons—or Satan!:

  • One-in-four (25%) Americans who report being a fan of a particular team believe that their team has been cursed at some point in time.=
  • More than one-quarter (26%) of sports fans report having prayed for God to help their team, while more than 7-in-10 (73%) say they have never done this.
  • Roughly 1-in-5 sports fans (19%) and similar numbers of all Americans (22%) believe that God plays a role in determining the outcomes of sporting events.

This is the best statistic (my emphasis):

  • Roughly 1-in-5 (21%) American sports fans report performing a ritual before or while watching their favorite team.

“The majority (66%) of the rituals performed by fans involve wearing team jerseys or clothing with the team’s colors on them, though some fans report more creative apparel choices. One fan reports that he wears “a dirty pair of underwear… over my pants and then I put my jersey on.” [JAC: I weep for his wife—if he has one!] Roughly one-quarter (24%) of fans who report having a ritual describe some type of activity, such as dancing in a circle, sitting in the same seat, or talking to their television. Some activities are quite specific, like one fan’s report that he takes all the money out of his wallet and puts it in the right-hand pants pocket before every game.”

  • Football fans stand out in their belief in the supernatural. Compared to other fans, football fans are more likely to see supernatural forces at work in their favorite sport (55% vs. 44%).

There are more data, like the proportion of Americans who watch the Superbowl, or who like soccer, but that’s not relevant for this post. The data reinforces the stereotype of the American as one who thinks God concerns Himself with who wins or loses a football game. And (I know I’m harping on this), does this really comport with Sophisticated Theologians’™ insistence that religious people see God not as an anthropomorphic being—or even a “being” that exists—bur rather as  just a Ground of Being, the “meaning of meaning”?

~

113 Comments

  1. E.A. Blair
    Posted January 31, 2014 at 5:24 am | Permalink

    An article I wrote on sports as a religion is up for being published on MadMike’sAmerica. As soon as it goes online, I’ll post a link to it.

    • E.A. Blair
      Posted February 2, 2014 at 6:21 am | Permalink

      Check out this link for another perspective on religion and sports.


2 Trackbacks/Pingbacks

  1. […] to a survey, more than 50% of American’s believe that the supernatural is at work to effect the outcome of sporting events. Let me repeat that for you, 55% of American’s think that angels, demons, god, or curses, are […]

  2. […] Jerry Coyne tells readers “Half of American fans think God (or demons) affect the outcome of sports“: […]

Post a Comment

Required fields are marked *
*
*

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 27,057 other followers

%d bloggers like this: